Modified G80-1800

g80-1800

Modified G80-1800

I got hold of a old unused Cherry G80-1800 keyboard from which I took the caps to the Bok.CP, and after that it was just laying around since it had DIN connector instead of USB. Then I was able to buy a slot-in replacement PCB from Maartenwut which had USB connectors and was QMK enabled. So after some desoldering, lubing, dampening and soldering it was again ready for action.

The GMK TA 90 keyset suits the build quite well, and then a blue USB-cable to top it off.

Gallery

g80-1800
The old PCB removed
g80-1800
The new USB and QMK-enabled PCB from Maartenwut ready for diodes, switches and stabs
g80-1800
Put some dampening mat inside the case just to remove some of the hollowness
g80-1800
Switches desoldered, but before removal of the wire and lube
g80-1800
Switch springs lubed and wire removed. New GMK stabs and all diodes in place
g80-1800
Assembled and ready for caps
g80-1800
Left side
g80-1800
Right side
g80-1800
Low-angle shot to show the R5 bottom row of the keycaps